Let’s face it — being sensitive has never been highly accepted in a world that is not so sensitive. I believe that is going to change. Actually, it is changing. The energy in the world is shifting and sensitivity is heightened these days – even for those who have not previously considered themselves to be highly sensitive. We are going back to our true nature.
There are lots of terms for what I am talking about such as highly sensitive, empathy and super sensitive. None of them make me feel warm and cozy. And I actually didn’t put myself in this category until the past few years. Expressing your feelings was not acceptable in my family and it certainly wasn’t the way to succeed in the blue collar printing environment in which I was a Vice President before starting my own business in 1995.
So why should you care if you fall into this group?
In part, it can explain some physical and emotional challenges you may be experiencing as things in our world continue to shift. But it’s also a positive. It actually puts you ahead of the curve as we move into a world that values six senses and not just five. If you are a sensitive person, you’ve already been using your sixth sense – your intuition – as well as your highly receptive nervous system.
But are you using them in a way that really works for you?
That’s what I want to see happen for all of us. I have seen a variety of statistics on the percentage of people who are highly sensitive. But my guess is that it is higher for those of you who have been drawn to this newsletter.
I am calling this group of people of which I am a member, Sentelligent ™. Because we have a level of intelligence – a uniquely perceptive sensory system – that is heightened and very smart. We just have to learn how to nurture, listen to and honor what it is telling us.
From that powerful place we can learn to be happier and more successful in our businesses and lives.
Here are some signs that you may be A Sentelligent Person. See how many resonate with you.
(You may not resonate with all of them and a statement may not feel true 100% of the time. If a majority of the statements feel true to you, then likelihood is you are A Sentelligent Person!)
- 1. You have been told at some point in your life that you were “too sensitive” or scorned or mocked for “over-reacting” to
2. You feel emotions deeply. You may feel as if you “wear your emotions on your sleeves” but not necessarily. Men and those of you who are still in the corporate world may feel things but not show emotions due to cultural training that it is not okay to do so.
3. You may be aware of the emotions of people around you.
4. An insult or unkind remark will affect you deeply.
5. Sights, smells, sounds, touches, changes in temperature and tastes may come through at heightened levels.
6. You feel deeply for others’ suffering or connections. You may cry at Hallmark commercials or when others cry or when you connect deeply with someone.
7. May suffer from recurrent depression, anxiety or other psychological disorders.
8. You may be keenly aware of and affected by beauty in art, music and nature. In this group are the world’s greatest artists and art appreciators.
9. You may be prone to stimulus overload. That is, you don’t like large crowds or hectic environments. You feel overwhelmed and depleted by too much stimuli.
10. You were a sensitive child.
12. You sometimes feel animosity toward your sensitive nature. Most sensitive people whole-heartedly wish they were tougher and more thick-skinned. They feel like their sensitivity is a weakness. Therefore some sensitive adults have learned how to hide their sensitivity from others.
13. You may use words like I “sense things”, “feel into” things or are “moved by” things.
14. You flow with your feelings – laugh out loud or cry when a line in music touches you.
15. Your sensitivity seems to grow as you grow older or lose weight or from other changes in the body or environment
16. You may have a good time in social gatherings but then feel tired or not so good the next day ( even if you didn’t drink)
17. You may “just know” things that other people don’t seem to know.
18. You may have physical ailments that are not easily explained or healed by traditional or non-traditional medical practitioners. (including but not limited to fatigue)
19. You may have unexplained mood swings and unable to determine why you suddenly feel sad or angry.
20. You are a good listener and people tell you their secrets
21. You feel stress and excitement in heightened ways
22 You have a deep need for fulfillment and meaning in your life
23. Feel like you are different than others – don’t fit
24. May handle stress well in the moment and then feel badly later
How many did you resonate with? Scroll to the comments section below and let me know what you see for yourself.
If you would like to know more about how to manage your heightened sensory receptivity, claim your power as a Sentelligent Person, make a difference with others and create a success that is sustainable for you, click this link to attend my F’REE teleseminar where I’ll be sharing specific secrets for creating sustainable success especially for those of you who are sensitive. You’ll learn why it is important to run your business differently than many of the business gurus tell you. Once you know what these secrets are, you can take control of your business and create success in a way that nourishes you and amply provides for your and your family.
Here’s the link again to register for the free class: http://peacefulentrepreneur.com/class